Summer is just around the corner. That means another season of great music under stars at the Hollywood Bowl is upon us. Of the numerous events and series playing at the Bowl, the KCRW’s World Festival is always a popular draw for fans of eclectic music from all around the world.
KCRW (89.9 FM) is partnering with the LA Philharmonic for the eleventh season to present KCRW’s World Festival at the Hollywood Bowl, beginning June 21. This year’s line-up should be a real crowd-pleaser, which includes performances by Femi Kuti & The Positive Force, Etta James, Of Montreal, Ray LaMontagne, Toots & The Maytals and Adele.
Oh, and Grace Jones is headlining her first live performance in Los Angeles in over 20 years. Reason enough right there!
The six Sunday concerts have been developed to showcase a diverse line-up of contemporary stars and traditional artists from around the globe; music in the series will range from folk, country and southern rock to reggae, pop, soul, blues and jazz.
“Simply put, there is nothing like this magnificent canyon amphitheater,” said KCRW Music Director and host of Morning Becomes Eclectic Jason Bentley. “The 2009 music program at the Bowl’s World Festival is a concert series without equal. Where else can you enjoy insightful pairings like Femi Kuti and Santigold, or Ray LaMontagne and Jenny Lewis. It’s a bold and progressive lineup that reflects the taste and sophistication of the city of Los Angeles itself.”
Bentley, as well as KCRW DJs Henry Rollins, Garth Trinidad, Anne Litt, Jeremy Sole and Tom Schnabel, will also be hosts for the concerts held throughout the summer. You can listen to archive performances from many of this year’s featured artists at http://www.kcrw.com/worldfestival.
Tickets are now on sale at HollywoodBowl.com, at the Hollywood Bowl Box Office or by calling Ticketmaster at 800.745.3000. KCRW subscribers get 20% off selected seats for KCRW’s World Festival series as part of the Fringe Benefits program.
KCRW’S World Festival Schedule / All concerts are held Sundays at 7pm:
- June 21, 2009: Femi Kuti & The Positive Force, Santigold, Raphael Saadiq
- June 28, 2009: Adele (w/ the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra Strings), Etta James & the Roots Band, Janelle Monáe
- July 12, 2009: Ray LaMontagne (w/ the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra), Jenny Lewis, Blitzen Trapper
- July 26, 2009: Grace Jones, of Montreal, Dengue Fever
- August 9, 2009: Reggae Night VIII — Toots and the Maytals, Michael Rose, Gregory Isaacs
- September 20, 2009: India Calling! Malkit Singh, Kailash Kher’s Kailasa, Anoushka Shankar, Ravi Shankar Centre Ensemble (curated by Ravi Shankar), Rhythms of Rajasthan