8 Years — that’s how long Andy Clockwise (aka Andy Kelly) has been leaving his footprint in the music industry. He went from being homeless to becoming an international indie rocker after trading his music producing skills for a couch to sleep on. While helping one of his friends produce her EP in exchange for a roof over his head, he simultaneously recorded his own EP, pressed it, and sent it in to the Triple J Radio Station in Australia. He’s been touring ever since.
He’s sold out venues in Australia, London, New York, and Los Angeles, including the legendary Viper Room, Hotel Cafe, and Spaceland. Clockwise describes his music as “schizo pop, because it’s all over the place and always changing.” This turns out to be true, because even though Clockwise is an indie artist now, he used to play in an electro-punk band called Spod. My, times have changed.
Clockwise cites his influences as Charlie Chaplin, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Bjork, the Pixies, Bowie, and Nick Cave. He plays every instrument on his recorded tracks, and writes all of his music himself. He’s so talented that he’s even classically trained! Check out Andy Clockwise below in our BeatCrave Fav series and if you like their sound as much as we do, vote for them in Friday’s poll!
Pick of the Day: Andy Clockwise
Type: Indie, Indie Rock
Label: ABC/Universal (Australia)
- Andy Kelly (lead vox/guitar)
- Stella Mozgawa (drums/vox)
- Josh Norton (bass/keys)
“I’m Taking Over The World” live at SXSW 2010
“Everybody’s In A Band”
See more Andy Clockwise videos here.
- Andy Clockwise EP (2002)
- Classic FM (2005)
- Are You Well EP (2010)
- The Socialite (Due out in June 2010)
- May 6, 2010 – Oxford Arts Factory, Sydney, New South Wales
- May 7, 2010 – Palace Theatre, Melbourne, Victoria
- May 8, 2010 – TBA, Melbourne, Victoria
- May 9, 2010 – Metro Theatre, Sydney, New South Wales
- Andy Clockwise Official Website
- Andy Clockwise on MySpace
- Andy Clockwise on Facebook
- Andy Clockwise on Twitter
- Andy Clockwise: Concert Review and Photos