Concert Picks: Holly Golightly and The Brokeoffs, Junip, The Submarines…By Lindsey Darden
For those of you who made it through Cinco de Mayo on last night and didn’t call in sick this morning, we applaud you. These shows are for you. For those of you who barely made it through Cinco de Mayo as it bled into Seis de Mayo and did call in sick – well, these shows are for you, too. Don’t forget Siete y Ocho de Mayo, either; some great picks are in store for you this weekend. Check them out below:
- Holly Golightly and The Brokeoffs | Friday, May 6 | 8:00 pm | $14 | Knitting Factory, Brooklyn, NY – Map | Summer is just around the corner, which generally means new music and summer tours. Successfully channeling Americana, country, folk, and a dash of subtly interwoven rock, Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs (or, Holly Golightly and Lawyer Dave) are on their third album together, titled No Help Coming, and will likely be rolling through a town near you very soon, and not just New York. Insert smiley face here. Check out their official site for more information; With Patrolled By Radar, Stately Ghosts – Buy Tickets
- Junip | Friday, May 6 | 9:00 pm | $20 | El Rey Theater, Los Angeles, CA – Map | Having experienced an overhaul and resuscitation, singer-songwriter Jose Gonzalez, Elias Araya and Tobias Winterkorn have brought Junip back to the fore, with a new album – In Every Direction - and an array of tour dates (including the following night at Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa – more info)… the better to whet our palette for what’s yet to come, perhaps? With Acrylics – Buy Tickets
- Swingset Committee | Saturday, May 7 | 8:00 pm | 21+ | $8 | Cameo Gallery, Brooklyn, NY – Map | For a band who’s Facebook profile line is “dance. dance. dance.” is actually to speak of volumes concerning their method of operation. The electronic indie rock trio gives off a self-aware, organic vibe in their style as well as their promotion and sharing of their music with fans and critics alike. We appreciate the equal opportunity approach as much as we do the digital backing running in bass-line circles within our ears. With Ambassadors, Ace Reporter, Zero Bridge – for more info, call (718) 302-1180.
- Corey Chisel & The Wandering Sons | Saturday, May 7 | 8:00 pm | 21+ | $10 in advance, $12 day of show | Double Door, Chicago, IL – Map | The Wisconsin-based band has in its possession edgy Americana folk rock that is at once gritty and speaks in the language of truthful universals, in word and instrumental. Their motive seems to hinge largely on the power of music to move and shake things up. We’re listening. With Henry Wolfe, The Future Laureates, Band Called Catch, Jackson Bailey – Buy Tickets
- The Submarines | Sunday, May 8 | 8:00 pm | $12 in advance, $15 day of show | Troubadour, Los Angeles, CA – Map | Lovers of indie pop that we are, we appreciate the breathy, non-stick variety, the type that comes in various hues instead of bubble gum pink. More so blues and deep sea greens. Mmm, melancholy. The duo-sometimes-trio is set to join Brett Dennen on tour this June in support and promotion of their latest eclectic release, Love Notes/Letter Bombs. With Pepper Rabbit – Buy Tickets
Well, those are our picks and we’re sticking to ‘em. Who’s on your To See List this weekend?