Concert Picks: Zander Bleck, The Henry Clay People, Here We Go Magic…By Lindsey Darden
Umbrellas, ladders, black cats, oh my! Don’t let Friday the 13th get you down; show it who’s boss by going the way of a smile on your face and groove in your step – something we’re pretty sure one of our select picks for you this weekend will inspire and encourage. Don’t be hasty; check them out below:
- Zander Bleck | Friday, May 13 | 8:00 pm | 21+ | $5 | Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn, NY – Map | No doubt about it, the New York-based singer-songwriter has a voice on him – not just audibly, but lyrically so. Powerful pop borderlining rock, and absolutely-no-doubt rock is very Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, and Bono, in a manner that is a breath of fresh air rather than a tribute or act of recognition. With Man on Earth, Chris Cubetta & The Liars Club – Buy Tickets
- The Henry Clay People | Friday, May 13 | 8:30 pm | 21+ | $10 | The Satellite, Los Angeles, CA – Map | We particularly enjoy that the Glendale, Calif.-based punk and rock (separate entities, as they work them) band wrote and successfully perform a song using California wildfires as a metaphor for… pretty much anything you can think of. That said, there is a fanciful, raw, but mellow-in-rhythm hybrid sound that works under a well-used umbrella of classic rock. Fusion is the new black, we say. With Shadow Shadow Shade, The Dig, Apex Manor – Buy Tickets
- Here We Go Magic | Saturday, May 14 | 8:00 pm | 21+ | $14 in advance, $16 day of show | Mercury Lounge, New York, NY – Map | Luke Temple’s side project is, in fact, doing quite well for itself, thank you for asking. If you haven’t yet heard their latest, The January EP, have no fear; it was only released this past Tuesday, and quite thankfully, the gifted description of the band “psychadelic electro-folk” (and then some) is something they have taken [seriously] and run with. Huzzah. With Porcelain Raft NT, Bizi Gara – Buy Tickets
- Pet Lions | Saturday, May 14 | 10:00 pm | 18+ | $10 | Lincoln Hall, Chicago, IL – Map | Love once more to local bands and original and modern fusion of sound. Pet Lions knows how to keep things lively and authentic melody-centric tracks, and a layered approach overall. “Roman History” is our new jam. Their debut, titled Houses, was released not too long ago (read: this week), so get it while it’s hot right before you get yourself a ticket to their show… With The Changes, Santah – Buy Tickets
- Best Coast | Sunday, May 15 | 8:00 pm | $40 | Largo, Los Angeles, CA – Map | Our favorites for a long time running (we’re at “always and forever” status at this point) with the one and only Jon Brion, performing for the Benefit for The Littlest Tumors Foundation… there is very little else to say. Unless there’s something you want to add. We’re done. With Paul F. Tompkins – Buy Tickets
Well, those are our picks and we’re sticking to ‘em. Who’s on your To See List this weekend?