Friday the what? See, that’s all you need to do today. Say it with us: Friday the what? That’s our method of operation. Who knows whether or not it will work, but we’ve heard that ignorance is bliss (except when it comes to Tax Day – oh boy). Well, one thing we won’t be ignorant towards is the need for musical release; the best kind of therapy, and generally the least expensive. Five bands, three days, or seven years of bad luck? We’ll take the former two. Check out our picks for the weekend below:
- Tes Elations | Friday, April 13 | 9:00 pm | Lot 1 Cafe, Los Angeles, CA – Map | In addition to her current venue residency on Wednesday nights, the LA-based ethereal-esque five-piece will be headlining tonight’s show in support of their general awesomeness. Okay, not only that, but also their forthcoming self-titled full-length album – of minimalistic, subtle electronic, and post punk proportions – which will be released next month on May 11. With Siddharttha, Free Moral Agents, L.A. Girlfriend – for more information, call (213) 481-8400.
- Savoir Adore | Friday, April 13 | 10:30 pm | 21+ | $10 | Mercury Lounge, New York, NY – Map | The Brooklyn-based pop-rock band is all about fusion – of vocals and various sound, instrumental and percussion elements. – resulting in balance, a mutual musical quality. Apparently experimental sound within familiar compositions is the new black, as theirs is a very comprehensible folk/pop/rock/electronic hybrid. They have previously toured with such equally endearing acts as Lights and Oh Land, and they’ll be playing is support of their latest EP released this past November, titled Dreamers. Also, this would be the chance to see them before they head on their UK tour next month. With Field Mouse – Buy Tickets
- Teen Girl Scientist Monthly | Saturday, April 14 | 8:00 pm | 21+ | $10 | Cake Shop, Brooklyn, NY – Map | First things first – a band without at least a slight sense of humor might as well try their hand at another art form. AKA TGSM, the New York-based outfit is also a pop rock hybrid whose demeanor and stage presence might as well challenge the unintended ill an audience might carry from week to week. With such melodically uplifting songs as “RiverStomp” and “Safari”, as well as fun n’ creative music videos, we’d be trying too hard to not be interested. With Jackpot, Tiger, Norwegian Arms, Starlight Girls – for more information, call (212) 253-0036.
- The Cooling Time | Saturday, April 14 | 9:00 pm | 21+ | Free | The Satellite, Los Angeles, CA – Map | The LA-based band might as well consider themselves neighbors considering their familiarity with the Silverlake residency. With vocal styling a la U2, and a little crowd invocation a la Coldplay, but still a whole lot of themselves, they’ll be headlining the event with a few of our favorites and a few of theirs. With Luna is Honey, Daniel Ahearn & The Jones, The Hereafter – for more information, call (323) 661-4380.
- The Naked and Famous | Sunday, April 15 | 7:30 pm | All Ages | Vic Theater, Chicago IL – Map | The New Zealand-based pop rock band invokes a comfortingly familiar new wave and electronic vibe with an extensive vocal range, melodically and harmoniously. Even with elements all over the place, at the heart of their melancholy creative is a smushy pop center that keeps us anchored, and, well, a bit transfixed. And with the live component, we can only imagine more reverberations, bass lines, and elevated moods of the soaring sort. For ticket information, call (773) 472-0449.
Those are our picks and we’re sticking to ‘em. Who’s on your To See List this weekend?
Photo via Facebook