‘Django Unchained’: Official Soundtrack DetailsBy Travis Woods
As we noted on our sister site, ScreenCrave, fans have come to expect a few specific things when listening to the soundtrack to a Quentin Tarantino film: lots of rare and left-field pop obscurities, a handful of soul tracks, and some vintage Ennio Morricone cuts from other soundtracks. So it’s with no surprise that the soundtrack to the upcoming Django Unchained features all of the above. But it also has something else—for the first time, a Tarantino film’s soundtrack will includes new and original songs written specifically for the film.
Something new in a Tarantino film—can you believe it?! Oh, we kid, we kid. With new tracks from Rick Ross and John Legend, along with classic spaghetti western soundtrack moments, and just about every pop genre in-between, the Django soundtrack looks aces. Here’s what Tarantino had to say:
I want to thank all the artists who contributed original songs (a first for me) to the picture. Most of these contributions came out of the artists’ own inspiration and their illustration of the film’s soul is invaluable. In addition to the new original songs I am also using a lot of older recordings on the soundtrack – many of which came from my personal vinyl collection. Instead of having the record companies give me new digitally cleaned up versions of these recordings from the 60’s and 70’s, I wanted to use the vinyl I’ve been listening to for years – complete with all the pops and cracks. I even kept the sound of the needle being put down on the record. Basically because I wanted people’s experience to be the same as mine when they hear this soundtrack for the first time.
Want to see what he’s talking about? Dig the soundtrack below, and be sure to catch Django Unchained when it hits theaters on Christmas Day.
2. DJANGO (MAIN THEME) – LUIS BACALOV, ROCKY ROBERTS
3. THE BRAYING MULE – ENNIO MORRICONE
4. IN THAT CASE, DJANGO, AFTER YOU…
5. LO CHIAMAVANO KING (HIS NAME IS KING) – LUIS BACALOV, EDDA DELL’ORSO
6. FREEDOM – ANTHONY HAMILTON & ELAYNA BOYNTON
7. FIVE-THOUSAND-DOLLAR NIGGA’S AND GUMMY MOUTH BITCHES
8. LA CORSA (2ND VERSION) – LUIS BACALOV
9. SNEAKY SCHULTZ AND THE DEMISE OF SHARP
10. I GOT A NAME – JIM CROCE
11. I GIORNI DELL’IRA – RIZ ORTOLANI
12. 100 BLACK COFFINS – RICK ROSS
13. NICARAGUA – JERRY GOLDSMITH FEATURING PAT METHENY
14. HILDI’S HOT BOX
15. SISTER SARA’S THEME – ENNIO MORRICONE
16. ANCORA QUI – ENNIO MORRICONE AND ELISA
17. UNCHAINED (THE PAYBACK/UNTOUCHABLE) – JAMES BROWN AND 2PAC
18. WHO DID THAT TO YOU? – JOHN LEGEND
19. TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG – BROTHER DEGE
20. STEPHEN THE POKER PLAYER
21. UN MONUMENTO – ENNIO MORRICONE
22. SIX SHOTS TWO GUNS
23. TRINITY (TITOLI) – ANNIBALE E I CANTORI MODERNI
What do you think of the soundtrack info?
Source: Daily Grindhouse